Friday, July 17, 2009

Heat Wave Tips

"Heat kills by taxing the human body beyond its abilities.In a normal year, about 175 Americans succumb to the demands of summer heat. Among the large continental family of natural hazards, only the cold of winter - not lightning, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, or earthquakes - takes a greater toll. In the 40-year period from 1936 through 1975, nearly 20,000 people were killed in the United States by the effects of heat and solar radiation. In the disastrous heat wave of 1980, more than 1,250 people died.

And these are the direct casualties. No one can know how many more deaths are advanced by heat wave weather - how many diseased or aging hearts surrender that under better conditions would have continued functioning."

Can you believe it? and that is just people - humans - persons...You wonder how many dogs and cats also die! Stay inside I tell you...Stay inside!

This is what I have done most of the summer. I mean, I would not want to walk grandma Rosario and see her pass out in the middle of the street, or at the park.

Speaking of the park, I don't know how to draw myself, so I asked grandpa Daddy to put up a painting of me here:Aren't I beautiful?

This painting was done one day when it was not so hot and I took grandma out for a walk. We went to the park where the children play and I even got to go on the swing...yeeeppppeeeee! It was great.

Back to the heatwave. So, if you live in an area where there is a heatwave, make sure that you do all the hard work stuff early in the morning, when it is cool. My little sister dog, Olive and I always go out to the back yard to take care of our business early in the morning.

Also, drink lots of water or other liquids. Brother Christy, sister Alyss and mommy Patsy are always drinking water from a bottle - and they're not even babies! hahaha. Grandma Rosario likes to drink water from the big machine that keeps things cold. It also spits out ice and water.

Lastly, if you must work when it is hot and the big fireball is high in the sky, wear a hat. I know that grandpa Daddy always wears one when he runs in the desert. Then, he also drinks lots of water.

So, to recap: 1. Stay inside if you can. 2. Work in the morning if you must. 3. Wear a hat if you are going to be outside and 4. Drink lots of WATER!

Stay safe...

No comments:

Post a Comment